United Trek Forums
Sign in to follow this  
David Falkayn

Meet Commodore Robert Wesley

Commodore Robert Wesley first made his appearance in the TOS episode "The Ultimate Computer" as the skipper of the Lexington, a sister ship of Kirk's Enterprise and was played by veteran character actor Barry Russo.  In the continuity of Star Trek: Lexington, Robert Wesley was promoted to Commodore and given command of the Lexington in 2265, taking over from its previous commander Heihachiro Nogura after his promotion to Admiral. A former Academy boxing champion, Commodore Wesley approaches situations very much as he approaches a boxing match: he sizes the situation up, determines the most productive lines of attack, and then acts quickly and decisively.  Wesley also takes his role as mentor to the junior officers under his command seriously as well.  When time permits, he explains why he is taking a particular course of action and attempts to turn situations into "teachable moments".  One of his primary weaknesses is that he can, at times, be remarkably insensitive, such as when he refers to Captain Kirk as "Captain Dunsel".  As a result, some of his fellow captains have described him as being "clueless sometimes".

At the beginning of the series, Robert is married to Virginia, a professor at the University of North Carolina, and has one daughter, Katie.  However, his marriage is suffering under serious strains due to his lengthy absences and in 2267 is in danger of falling apart as a mutual attraction is developing with one of his ensigns, Aliz Bathory.

Probably the single most fascinating aspect of Wesley to me is his attraction to Ensign Bathory. Of course this is the same time period in which Jim Kirk seemed to be able to get away with courting a new young hottie (including on occasions crewmembers) every other week.

But Wesley is no Jim Kirk and more importantly he is married. This relationship which we all know is going places will have quite the drastic effect on Wesley's life and possibly his reputation. I'm looking forward to see how exactly it will develop.

Well, CeJay, it's going to get a big jumpstart with "Blood Cries".  But you're right, it is going to be a bumpy road for both of them because Robert sincerely and deeply loves Virginia and she him, but, time and distance has and is and will continue to take its toll and Aliz is right there and she's so vulnerable and so fragile and Robert is so human...

Its great to see another of James T. Kirk's old friends become known to those in the expanded ST universe. Besides the stories of the Lexington are nearly equal at least to me with the adventures of the USS Enterprise! 8)

Thank you for your kind words--they really cheered me up after what has been a pretty tough time for me.  I'm sorry I haven't been writing as much as I'd like, but between work, caring for my mother, and my own health issues, I've been in and out of a depressed state and writing has been difficult for me.  Hopefully soon things will pick up though and I'll be back in the saddle again.  It's encouragement from readers such as yourself as well as my fellow UT writers that keeps the fire burning inside me.  THANK YOU!!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this