Sign in to follow this  
Galen4

Star Trek: Intrepid series snapshot

[b]

Here is quick overview of the captain and ship for new readers.

To my fellow UT authors: I'll be posting a few messages in the other forums here very soon, to officially introduce myself.

The Captain:

Jason Daniel Aubrey was born on 20th Century Earth and lived most of his childhood in Seattle, Washington. At the age of ten, Antonio Perez, a rogue Section 31 agent abducts Aubrey and brings him into the future.

Perez soon realizes that returning the boy to the past is out of the question----- because It is learned that if Aubrey grows to adulthood in the 20th Century, he will bring about the destruction of all life on Earth.

To spare the child the anguish of his kidnapping, Perez reprograms Aubrey’s memories so that he believes himself to be a native of the 24th Century. The child is later adopted and follows his foster parents’ footsteps into Starfleet Academy.

Eventually taking command of the USS Intrepid, Aubrey gains notoriety as a skilled combat officer during the Dominion War. However, during that period his true memories are restored and he learns of his dark past.

Despite his many accomplishments as a starship captain, Aubrey must live with the terrible knowledge that he would have annilated humanity’s future. With each passing day, he wonders if his very existence is a threat to the Federation…

The Ship:

USS Intrepid

NCC – 38957

General Overview

Starfleet’s Design and Development Division convenes Project Renaissance to

weigh the benefits of rejuvenating outdated ships with new technology. The Excelsior class is chosen as a focus for this project because it is one of the most successful and versatile models ever built-----and due in part to the large percentage of these ships that still comprised Starfleet’s backbone before the Dominion War. The Renaissance engineers are determined to test the upper threshold on how far the Excelsior line can be upgraded, with an eye towards extending their operational lifespan.

The recently decommissioned USS Intrepid becomes a test vehicle and undergoes multiple system overhauls over the course of several years. The ship receives a state of the art warp core, shield generators and an enhanced weapon’s package. As upgrades continue, experimental technology is added and tested for compatibly alongside older systems. The more successful upgrades are later used to refit the USS Lakota and to breathe life into other aging ships. New technology that passes trial runs is incorporated into vessels that are still on the drawing board. As a tribute to Intrepid’s role in grooming these cutting edge applications, Starfleet dubs its next generation of starships the  “Intrepid class”.

With the Dominion War a near certainty, and Starfleet projecting enormous losses, Project Renaissance is expanded to push as many inactive vessels back into service as possible. Intrepid is readied for active duty after a new round of upgrades is administered with an emphasis on bolstering her firepower. Unwieldy enhancements are pulled. New defensive systems are installed, including patches of ablative armor and a ship-wide transport inhibitor-----to help prevent her sensitive technology from falling into enemy hands.

By the time Intrepid is re commissioned in 2374, her offensive systems are on par with that of a Galaxy Class starship. Despite the fact she is extremely over powered for a ship of her class-----leading to inefficient energy consumption and other performance issues-----Starfleet recognizes her potential as a battleship. She soon sees action in some of the most ferocious fleet battles of the war, participating in more than one pivotal engagement.

After earning a distinguished war record, Intrepid continued service as a postwar peacekeeping and exploration vessel, pulling duty along the Cardassian borders and spearheading an exploratory push into the Gamma Quadrant. 

Thanks for this. If you have any more to add, I look forward to reading over your crew and any new aliens or adversaries you've created. I know it can be time consuming to draw up these summaries, but if you're so inclined and when you get the time, I would appreciate it. I'm most curious about the Brillians (is that correct?)

Yes, I had the same idea. I was thinking of assembling a bullet point list of major alien players and posting it in the writer's forum. (Due to all the spoilers.) In this forum I can run crew manifest.

I also thought about running a "critical event" list for everyone's reference. It would call out major events in my previous stories that would have come to the public's attention. In other words, events big enough that other UT characters would at least have some passing knowledge of them.

All this as I become more familiar with the UT universe. Gibraltar mentioned a Wiki databse that contains ship names, for example.

Ah, the Brillans..yes. They're from "The Prophecy Trap". But I might change their name slightly when I rerun that story. I'll be sure to add them to my coming list.

Again, thanks for the welcome and support!

Allow me to also welcome you to United Trek.

And while I may have been the single voice of dissent in regards to your membership, don't let that put you off. I usually tend to play devil's advocate when it comes to new members. No hard feelings?

It is no reflection whatsoever on your work. As you may remember I've been a great fan of Intrepid for some time and consider you a particularly talented writer.

I positively suggest that you check out the UT wiki (http://wiki.unitedtrek.org/index.php5?title=Main_Page) If you don't have a password yet, I'm sure Michael could set you up. We haven't been using it much lately but it still contains a wealth of information about almost all UT series. Feel free to add to it yourself.

I do have one question about Intrepid. You clearly acknowledge that there are now two different vessels by the name of Intrepid in service in the 2370s and I don't have a major issue with that especially if we accepted your interpretation on how the Intrepid-class got its name. They may refer to your ship as the the 'Old Intrepid' or the Intrepid-class as the 'New Intrepid'.

But there is in fact another ship by that name, also Excelsior class, in service in the mid-24th century according to canon (The ship that found Worf at Khitomer). According to Memory Alpha it's registry is NCC-38907. Have you considered making your Intrepid that same ship?

Hi Cejay,

No, I don’t for a moment take offense to your devil’s advocate role. In fact, your points were well taken. The more players that come onboard here, the greater the chance for disharmony in the UT Universe. Especially if authors here are already having trouble keeping things straight. Ironically, I might vote “no” on a new member myself, were I asked today, for the same reasons you brought up.

The fact that the UT authors take quality so seriously tells me I’m in a good place.

In regards to Intrepid, I’m actually surprised that no one brought this up until now.

But I haven’t done such a good job of explaining the vessel’s history, judging by your comments. Let me clarify:

The Intrepid you mentioned from Memory Alpha as having rescued Worf is in fact the same vessel in my series. It was decommissioned at some point prior to 2374.

When it was re commissioned, its registry was changed from NCC – 38907 to 38957.

Here’s the only possible conflict. According to my series history, the Intrepid class USS Intrepid was destroyed before the Dominion War officially began. This is why the Excelsior model retained its original name upon reentering service.

This means that there is, according to me, only one Intrepid in service, not two or more.

Until I review the Wiki, I don’t know if that will conflict with UT cannon. If it does, some other explanation will have to be offered for the old Intrepid keeping her name.

Ah, ok, this certainly explains things.

As for the Intrepid-class, I'm not sure anyone has used that ship in the UT-verse but it appears it has been mentioned a few times in canon Trek according to Memory-Alpha. But I suppose it might be possible that those references could have been about your Intrepid instead.

Galen,

I wanted to do a cameo with one of your characters, ships, or created species for the story I'm writing now. And I was wondering if you had created any species that belong to the Federation. If so and you're okay with me using them, just provide me a name and a description and I'll try to find a way to work them in there. I did sort of do a cameo already by creating an engineer named Hiroko, after your Captain Hiroko on the Legacy.

I’m honored, thank you.

Well, I don’t have any original aliens that are Federation members…I have some heavy hitter characters like the Inth and the Gambis that are more “major threat” category.

You could use Captain Zorek and the Sovereign class USS Nagasaki.

They survive “The Double Edge” and would still be around in 2376. Zorek is an old, revered Vulcan captain. Whatever major events are transpiring in “Pandora’s Jar”, could lead to dropping his name, or even a short appearance.

You can do what you like with him. Just bear in mind that he and the Nagasaki are destroyed in early 2377 during the beginning of “Treacherous Waters.”

If you need any background, let me know. I can give you a general character description. There’s very little or no background on him, actually.

Gosh darn it,

I really could've thrown Zorek into the mix a few days ago....at the time I needed a ship that Admiral Glover could call on to pull his son Terrence-the main character of my series-out of a jam, but I'm thinking of maybe figuring out a way to throw him and the Nagasaki in regardless. Thanks.

Here’s what little there is on Zorek and the Nagasaki, for your convenience:

• The Nagasaki was under Admiral Jellico’s Tango Fleet task force, which fought unsuccessfully to stop the Dominion from invading Betazed. (Currently being told in “The Double Edge”)

• Nagasaki is an all Vulcan crew.

• Captain Zorek is a distinguished captain who is something of a renowned figurehead within Starfleet. Somewhat on the order of Sarek’s respect level.

• Intrepid’s XO (Shantok) is a Vulcan/Betazoid mix, who has considerable telepathic abilities. Zorek tutored her as a young woman to help her control her powerful abilities. Maybe 20 years prior.

• As I mentioned before, the Nagasaki, along with Zorek and his crew are destroyed in February 2377 while on a diplomatic mission in the Gamma Quadrant. (As told in “Treacherous Waters.”)

Appearance: Zorek is about 150 years old. He sports a gray, closely cut beard.

His tactical officer is female

Other than that, there’s no back-story or other details. Feel free to add anything you wish.

If I can help in any other way, please let me know.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this